Vetiver Essential Oil
Vetiver essential oil is one of the most important notes in perfumery. This base note has a soft and almost powdery earthiness that adds depth to any blend. Emotionally grounding, it is the perfect tonic to calm the senses and bring us into the present moment as though we've just planted our feet in the earth.
Vetiver is a reminder that beauty becomes richer with age. While most essential oils devolve as time goes by, this botanical evolves into a sublime treasure. In the heart of Indonesia, artisan farmers harvested and distilled Vetiver just for us. There are some unique green notes to appreciate as a symbol of the fresh distillation. We invite you to explore the story below.
- Botanical Name: Vetiveria zizanioides
- Plant Part: Roots
- Quality: Wild Harvested
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled
- Origin: Indonesia
- Source: Directly from the Producer
- Aroma Note: Base
- Aroma Nuances: Earthy and rich with a soft elegance that will only become more polished with time. This particular batch is punctuated by a fleeting green vibrance (indicative of a recent distillation) that will mellow with time to create a classic, aged Vetiver. The drydown is warm and subtle. A unique opportunity awaits to set aside this newly distilled oil to age over time.
Vetiver pours from the bottle as thick as honey yet rubs into the skin, leaving behind a softness as velvety as its aroma. This magical essential oil is distilled from the roots of a tall grass that grows in places like Indonesia, India, Java, Madagascar, Haiti, and El Salvador, with each region producing its own unique color, texture, and aroma. Vetiver roots stretch vast distances, smelling their way through the underground world and synthesizing their discoveries into aromatic brilliance. The roots are celebrated for myriad purposes, beyond essential oil distillation. They are used pragmatically to help prevent erosion in the wet terrains of their native regions. They are also crafted into lovely baskets as well as mats & window shades to keep tropical homes cool. Adding water to the woven roots releases the earthy and seemingly everlasting scent. We have had a Vetiver basket for 25 years, and it still has a distinct Vetiver aroma, a testament to a character that favors age.
Integrity and quality are at the heart of our mission at Nomad Botanicals. We source our single origin essential oils and absolutes directly from trusted ethical sources and directly from the producer as often as possible. We also distill essential oils ourselves, from time to time. With more than 25 years of experience in the aromatherapy field, we feel honored and humbled to share our life's work with you, so you can enjoy the awe-inspiring benefits of botanicals.
- For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. Keep out of reach of children.
- If essential oils come into unwanted contact with skin or mucous membranes, a traditional method for mitigating this is to douse the area in a fatty/carrier oil. Common kitchen oils like olive oil are effective. Essential oils are lipophilic, meaning they love oils and fats. This is why they are drawn to the fatty/carrier oil. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they hate water. For this reason, putting water on the skin will push the essential oil further into the skin.
- The FDA has not evaluated information on our website. The information is based on traditional uses and does not come with any claims on diagnosing, treating, healing, curing, or preventing any diseases or conditions.
- Extra precautions or avoidance of essential oils are recommended for people who are: children, elderly, pregnant or nursing, or have medical conditions.